Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Q: How do I get public records information?

A: Click here for Answer.


Q: How do I know when burn days are?

A: There is no burning allowed within Granger City Limits or within Granger’s Urban Growth Area (UGA). Information regarding Yakima County Burn Days can be obtained by calling Yakima Clean Air Authority (509) 834-2050.


Q: How do I get a business license?

A:  A new business license fee is $50.00 and a renewal license is $25.00. Please see business licensing. You may also be required to obtain a separate WA State license where additional fees may apply. Please visit the Washington State Department of Revenue Business Licensing Service website for more information.


Q: Do I already have a City of Granger business license?

A: Please call Norma Martinez at Granger City Hall at (509) 854-1725 and ask for status.


Q: When do I need a business license?

A: Granger Municipal Code Chapter 5.44 Business License outlines the business types which are required to obtain a business registration for the City of Granger. Generally, if you are conducting business within the City limits, are not part of a charitable organization, not a vendor in a community fair or bazaar, and not a lessor of property then you are required to register your business.


Q: Can I get one business license to conduct business throughout the State?

A: Unfortunately, no. It will be necessary for you to contact each jurisdiction to verify what/if any licensing procedures apply.  The Department of Revenue Business Licensing Service may be able to assist you with determining which cities may use their licensing services.


Q: Who can I contact for more information on business licenses?

A: Norma Martinez, Granger City Hall 509-854-1725,


Q: Who do I call to see if there are complaints about a business?

A: Better Business Bureau 152 S. Jefferson, Suite 200 Spokane, WA 99201 Phone: (509) 455-4200 or (800) 356-1007 Fax: (509) 838-1079 Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday  9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Friday. Contact the Better Business Bureau by email at This office serves Eastern Washington, North Idaho and Montana.


Q: How do I get a yard sale permit and what is the cost?

A: Each property is allowed to host 1 yard sale per month. Each sale cannot be longer than 3 consecutive days.  A $5.00 yard sale permit fee must be paid prior to the sale date. Please see Yard Sale Application.


Q: Where can I put a yard sale sign?

A: In order to prevent road hazards and unsightly clutter, citizens are not allowed to place their signs, boxes, or any other items in the City’s rights-of-way (sidewalks, telephone poles, light poles, stop signs, etc.). Citizens are encouraged to put an advertisement in the local newspaper or place signs on private property, after permission from the property owner has been granted.


Q: Do you offer notary services?

A: Yes. The notary fee is $10.00 and your document must contain notary language.


Q: How do I get a dog tag and what are the costs?

A: Click here for Answer.


Q: When do I need to get a dog tag?

A: Granger Municipal Code, Section 6.04.020 indicates any dog over the age of 3 months old shall be licensed. You may only have 3 dogs per property, any property harboring 4 or more dogs must apply for a kennel license.


Q: What is a kennel license?

A: A kennel license is required for any property harboring 4 or more dogs and includes a fee of $150.00 per year. No kennel licenses shall be issued until the applicant has secured a one-time conditional use permit under the zoning ordinance which includes a fee of $250.00 and a public hearing process for public input. Contact Lily Torres at Granger City Hall, 509-854-1725 for more information.


Q: What if I lose my dog’s tag?

A: Things happen and it’s okay.  Just pay us a visit and we can issue a new tag for $1.00.



Q: How do I reserve a City park?

A: Click here for Answer.


Q: What are the park hours?

A: The parks are always open. The park bathrooms are only open from March through October.


Q: What are the locations of the parks? 


  • Main City Park – 201 East A Street Granger
  • Hisey Park – 505 Main Street Granger
  • Raptor Park – Across Hisey Park
  • Bell Memorial Park – 499 ½ Main Street
  • 9/11 Memorial – 1221 Bailey Avenue
  • Veteran’s Memorial – 119 Main Street

Q: What are the locations of the dinosaurs? 

A: DinoDrive Brochure



Q: Why do I pay for irrigation when I don’t have irrigation?

A:  Some properties are assessed irrigation charges even though they do not consume irrigation water because these properties have access or a water right to irrigation water. Assessed lands in Sunnyside Valley Irrigation District (SVID) are obligated to pay for each parcel’s proportionate share of the cost of construction, operation, and maintenance to provide irrigation service within its boundary.  It is not a fee for water use – it is an assessment against the land to provide the necessary revenue to enable the irrigation district to provide authorized services. Properties are assessed irrigation fees based on their service type and lot size since the City is assessed a fee by SVID based on the same formula for the entire city.


Q: How do I request my water be turned off/on?

A: If you would like your household water turned on or off, please come into City Hall at 102 Main Street, Granger WA 98932.  Only property owners are allowed to make changes to service via telephone, City Hall at (509) 854-1725. A $100.00 water deposit is required by all tenants. For other questions, a phone call may be the quickest solution. See rates here.


Q: Why is my bill so high?

A: There are several factors that go into calculating each utility bill such as meter size, consumption, active services, and many other factors which may impact your individual statement. Some quick things you can do yourself to determine why your bill has changed are:

  • Review the water consumption amount located on your bill which compares previous monthly water consumption. If you have consumed more water than in prior months, then that may be the reason for part of the changes you see in your statement.
  • Have there been any rate increases? Occasionally rates change in the beginning of the year if there is going to be a change, it is uncommon for mid-year rate increases. Typically, notices like this can be found in the local paper and on this webpage.
  • Have you had any service changes? Did the number of occupants in your home change during the billing period? Did you have extra garbage service, or other changes which might have occurred during the billing cycle? Did you hosts a large party? Do you have a pool? These simple questions might indicate a change.
  • Have you noticed any leaking faucets or toilets? Many of the questions we receive about high water bills can be associated with small household leaks. You might be surprised how a little leaking faucet can impact your monthly bill. If you suspect a leak, our knowledgeable team of Public Works professionals is available to assist you in determining if you have a leak. Call City Hall at 509-854-1725 to request a leak check, note that although we can determine if a leak exists, we cannot determine the location of the leak.

If after considering all of this you still are not able to determine why your bill has changed, please contact Nancy Mortensen at (509) 854-1725 who will help review your statement and answer any questions you may have.


Q: What if I can’t pay my bill before the water shut-off date?

A:  The City offer’s 2 extensions/payment arrangements on utility accounts per year up to the 10th of the month.  It should be noted that the City will only allow 2 extensions for each service address per calendar year.


Q: What do I do if my water has been shut-off?

A: Unfortunately, in some cases, we are required to disconnect services. This can be caused by the failure to pay a delinquent balance, a returned check, or for emergency water system repairs. We diligently attempt to contact impacted property owners by distributing advance notice whenever possible. If your water is turned off MondayFriday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. contact us at (509) 854-1725 and we can assist you. If you find that your water is disconnected and it is outside of these hours please contact us during our regular business hours and we can assist you at that time.


Q: What kind of payments does the City accept Discover, MasterCard, or Visa for?

A: The City offers “GovPayNow” where customers are able to pay only for utility charges over the counter using their debit or credit cards, via telephone at 1(888)604-7888 or online at GovPayNow.


Q: Does the City charge for Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) checks?

A: In the situation where a payment is returned to us, a $36.00 fee is charged to the account or customer.


Q: If I am a vendor of the City, how can I expedite the receipt of my payment?

A: The City issues payment of invoices twice a month, except during holidays. The date of payment directly correlates with City Council meetings, which occur on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month. In order to insure timely payment is received, it is important to issue the City an invoice as soon as possible along with a completed W9. The next most important thing you can do is to send these items to Accounts Payable, PO Box 1100, Granger, WA 98932 OR to



Q: When do I need a building permit?

A: Click here for Answer.


Q: Do I need a permit to build a fence?

A: Only fences over 6 feet require a building permit. However, there are special requirements if you are located on a corner lot. Please contact Nancy Mortensen at 509-854-1725 for specifications regarding fencing corner lots.


Q: What is my building permit going to cost?

A: This depends on the size and type of the project.  Once a completed building permit application has been submitted, the fees are based upon the valuation of the project and other associated costs.  The total cost will be available once the application has been reviewed and the permit is ready for pick-up.


Q: Do I need a permit to install new windows?

A: If you are replacing windows with the exact same size and not changing any of the structure, then a permit is not required. However, if you change the structure around the window or the size of the window, then a permit is required.


Q: How do I find my property lines

A: The City of Granger may be able to provide information about the general location of property lines. To get an exact location, a property owner should hire a surveyor and have a record survey done.



Q: How do I report a code violation?

A: There are several ways to report potential violations. Citizens may report the violations by filling out a Granger Complaint Form, they may send an email to, they may call in a complaint at (509) 854-1725 and ask a staff member to complete the form, or they may visit Granger City Hall at 102 Main Street for the form.


Q: How can I find out if there is a code violation?

A: The Granger Municipal Code is currently unavailable online but you may request to view it at Granger City Hall at 102 Main Street. You may also call Granger City Hall at 509-854-1725 and direct your questions to the City Clerk Treasurer. Chapter 8 identifies health and safety related violations, Chapter 18 identifies zoning related violations, and Title 15 identifies building related violations. Citizen complaints are generally covered in one of these three chapters.


Q: I filed a complaint with the Code Enforcement Officer, why has the problem not been fixed yet?

A: As specified in the Granger Municipal Code, the home owner must be given a reasonable amount of time to abate the violation before the City will impose infractions or other abatement methods upon them. For most violations this is approximately ten (10) business days from the date of the notice.  Certain violations may take a month or more to abate depending on the circumstances.  If the violation poses an immediate hazard it may be remedied by the City of Granger.


Q: I received a letter from the Code Enforcement Officer however I do not have enough time to abate the violation, what can I do?

A: Often times, the City can work with citizens to abate violations. If you receive a notice from the City of Granger Police Department and are unable to abate the violation within the time specified, contact the City of Granger and explain your concern. The City of Granger will be happy to work out a schedule to meet your needs.


Q: I received a notice from the Code Enforcement Officer regarding an inoperable/junk vehicle but all of my vehicles are in working condition, what do I do?

A: Often times the Code Enforcement Officer will identify vehicles that are deemed inoperable for the City of Granger, although the vehicle may physically run and can be driven, you have more than likely received the notice because the vehicle license tabs are expired and need to be renewed.



Q: My garbage pickup day falls on a holiday, will it still get picked up?

A: No. Your garbage will be picked up the business day before. Call Granger Public Works at 509-854-2770 for additional information.


Q: Will my garbage still get picked up if the weather is bad?

A: Depending on the weather conditions, there could be some delay in your garbage service.  For example, if roads are icy and you live on a hill the garbage truck can have problems getting up the incline.  In this instance, they will return the next day to pick up your garbage if the weather allows.


Q: Where can I recycle?

A: Granger has 2 newspaper/cardboard recycling sites, 1 aluminum recycling site, and 1 motor oil disposal site. Newspaper/cardboard recycling sites are located near Granger Public Library, 500 Bailey Ave and another behind Granger Police Department, 102 Main Street; Aluminum recycling site is located behind the Granger Scout Cabin, 100 Sunnyside Avenue; and Motor oil disposal site is behind Granger Police Department, 102 Main Street.


Q: How much will it be if I want to increase/decrease my garbage?

A: Monthly rates are subject to rate increases. Please see Garbage Rates for the current rates for different garbage service options.


Q: What can I do if I have extra garbage?

A: City of Granger residents can request an extra garbage pick-up for an additional fee by calling 509-854-1725. A 90 gallon can extra pick up fee is $9.99, 300 gallon can extra pick-up fee is $20.14, fees are added to your next billing cycle.



Q: How do I find out my water pressure?

A: We cannot give exact pressure readings for each individual house. However, we can tell you the standard pressure in your neighborhood. Please call the Public Works Department at (509) 854-2770 for more information.


Q: How do I know where the right of way (ROW) is on my street?

A: The City’s ROW can vary from 20 feet to 80 feet.  Please contact the Public Works Department at (509) 854-2770 to inquire where the ROW is on your street.


Q: Who do I call if I’m going to be digging around my house?

A: The Utilities Underground Locating Center, 1-800-424-5555. You can learn more by visiting their website at


Q: What do I need to do if I want to trim or remove my trees?

A: This depends if the trees are in your yard or in the City right-of-way (ROW).  If the trees are on your property then no approval from the City is necessary for tree maintenance.  If the trees are in City ROW, they are considered street trees. Any issues regarding street trees, you must contact the Public Works Department at (509)854-2770.


Q: Who do I call when I notice a problem, like a broken tree limb, pot hole, or a burnt out street light?

A: If you notice a problem, like a broken tree limb, pot hole, or a burnt out street light, you can call the Public Works Department at (509) 854-2770 and leave a detailed message with the Public Works Assistant or you may fill out a complaint form at Granger City Hall, 102 Main Street. You will be asked to provide the pole number to report burnt out street lights.



Q: How can I get a copy of a police report?

A: Requests for copies of police reports are handled as a request for public record. You will need to fill out a Request for Public Record Request. This form is then given to the Police Department’s. The City of Granger Police Department must provide a response to a request for public records within 5 business days by either

  1. providing the record,
  2. acknowledging receipt of the record and providing a reasonable estimate of the time in which a response will be made, or
  3. denying the request. Additional response time beyond five days may be based upon a need to clarify the request, to locate and assemble the records requested, to notify people and agencies affected by the request, or to determine whether any of the requested records are exempt from disclosure. The following days are exempt as one of the five days in computing response times: the day the request is received, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.


Q: How can I get a copy of my full criminal history?

A: A copy of your complete criminal history can be obtained through the Washington State Patrol WATCH Program. For more information please see their website:


Q: How do I contact the Police Department for non-emergency questions or concerns?

A: The Granger Police Department is located at: 102 Main Street, Granger, WA 99350 Non-emergency phone: (509) 854-2656 or (509) 854-1886 for police dispatch.


Q: Where can I find information on applying for a Concealed Pistol License (CPL)?

A: The City of Granger does not issue CPL’s. This means you must apply for a CPL at Yakima County Sheriff’s office located at 1822 S. 1st Street, Yakima, WA 98903. Information on applying for a Concealed Pistol License, including requirements and applications must be directed to Yakima County Sheriff’s Office at (509) 574-2500.


Q: What agencies are dispatched by the Granger Police Department?

A:   None. The Granger Police Department is dispatched by Yakima County Sheriff’s office. For emergencies, dial 9-1-1.  For non-emergencies, call (509) 854-2656 or (509) 854-1886.  Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) are dispatched through Yakima County Fire District #5, for emergencies dial 911.


Q: Is the Granger Communication Center a 911 center?

A: No. All 911 calls are routed through Yakima County 911 (SUNCOMM) which is a multi-agency, multi-discipline, multi-jurisdiction 9-1-1 and Dispatch center serving the City and County of Yakima.


Q:  How many officers are there in the Granger Police Department?

A: The Granger Police Department has six (6) commissioned officers which includes the Chief of Police.  Patrols are staffed 24/7.


Q: Where do I pay my parking/traffic ticket?

A: Parking ticket or other traffic tickets issued by the Granger Police Department can be paid at the Granger Municipal Court located at 102 Main Street, Granger WA 98932. You may contact the Granger Municipal Court office by phone at (509) 854-0238. In addition, important information regarding the ticket can be found on the back of the ticket.